Thursday, September 4, 2014

This blog is about the cool apps or work arounds or scripts I find that make my life eaiser. --- Highlighting RVTOOLS

So far I have been involved in Hyper-v and Vmware and I been recently introduced into the VCenter and PowerCLI. So mostly I will be blogging about my discoveries and Powershell and PowerCLI scripts.

First App that is a must for any vmware user is the best free tool I have ever found, well I once found a really nice set of pump pliers on the side of the road that I still use all the time, but the best software tool I have ever found for vmware ESXi and VCenter is RVTools located at http://www.robware.net/. This reporting tool is by far the single greatest find I have ever used.

RVTools is a windows .NET 2.0 application which uses the VI SDK to display information about your virtual machines and ESX hosts. Interacting with VirtualCenter 2.5, ESX Server 3.5, ESX Server 3i, VirtualCenter 4.x, ESX Server 4.x, VirtualCenter 5.0, VirtualCenter Appliance, ESX Server 5.0, VirtualCenter 5.1, ESX Server 5.1, VirtualCenter 5.5, ESX Server 5.5. RVTools is able to list information about VMs, CPU, Memory, Disks, Partitions, Network, Floppy drives, CD drives, Snapshots, VMware tools, Resource pools, Clusters, ESX hosts, HBAs, Nics, Switches, Ports, Distributed Switches, Distributed Ports, Service consoles, VM Kernels, Datastores, Multipath info and health checks. With RVTools you can disconnect the cd-rom or floppy drives from the virtual machines and RVTools is able to update the VMware Tools installed inside each virtual machine to the latest version.

Download it, point it at the IP of your standalone ESXi host or Vcenter server and you will have the most info you can get with little or no effort from vmware about the host and the VM's. Not to mention the cool features listed in the last sentence of the above paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment